WordPress upgraded to 2.6.5.
Seems to be working okay.
NOTE: Apparently I wrote this around early-August, but never posted it, so I posted it today after finding the draft in my WordPress.
- Updated to WordPress 2.3.1. Apparently some security fixes as well as normal feature updates. Requires a DB upgrade, so be sure to hit that admin link to do the DB upgrade.
- Have been tinkering with using GMail IMAP as a spamfilter and integrating with Thunderbird 2.0+. Using forwarding from old POP3 accounts, I now have a couple extra GMail accounts (for keeping some IDs separate), managed to delete about 7 Thunderbird account profiles and now have GMail spam filter working in conjunction with Thunderbird Junk Mail filtering. I wrote it up (roughly) here: http://health.malcolmgin.com/Using_GMail_to_Filter_Spam
- Mostly doing SharePoint 2003 maintenance at work while we also prepare for SharePoint 2007 (finally – my last job started with 2007 in November of 2006). I’m also doing various other system engineer stuff like working with maintenance, licensing, support, etc. for some other interrelated products my team supports. Still learning, though, so I’m OK on the happiness & fulfillment side, and my commute totals about 3 hours less per day, I mostly get every other Friday off, and I have time and a partner with which to hit the gym 3-4 days a week, work permitting.
After finally managing the install and setup correctly in my own deployment last week, I just updated the article on this blog with the newest information I needed to completely the install properly and make everything ship-shape (or close enough for jazz).
I already have a Livejournal, where posts of a more personal, less technical nature, will go. My current work cycle is very focused on System Engineering/Architecture/Maintenance with SharePoint in mind, and may be devoid of .NET tips for quite some time. I also don’t wish to create posts just to post.
So when things come up that I think are new or niggly enough that they’re not in MSDN (I will have checked) or Technet (same) or on other blogs, I’ll try to post them here. I already have one post in mind, which is about permissions on SharePoint, the back end SQL Server, and the arcane task of changing the service accounts in both while a farm is still up and running.
Having run into some issues, I’m here to tell you that it’s tricky but possible to even recover from a point where Microsoft’s recommendation would be to just throw it all out and reinstall SPS/WSS completely.
Anyhow, this post is to talk about my goals (done), and plans (will do). It’s also to note that being this is a new WordPress blog, it’ll be a bit before I install the really heinously aggressive spam control measures, but I’ve already specified that comments must be held and approved, so if you post a comment, please give me time to approve it before it shows up.
See y’all in the blogosphere!