I was asked recently why I haven’t blogged in a while. Like you might expect, its a mixture of different types of busy.
It looks like I’m in the clear with the hack, assuming WordPress 3.1.4 and the plugins I’m using are safe.
After thoroughly scrubbing the WordPress database, I think I’m ready for the next step, the scariest, which is to recreate the blog entirely with a brand new installation.
One of the problems that you inherit from running your own blog instead of paying someone else to maintain a blogging platform is that you occasionally come under attack from a hacker. There’s no telling whether this will be successful for them or not until it happens. The overall question is one of time, resources, skill and luck. Given that I didn’t think I’d be a high value target, I did what I could and hoped it would be enough. It was not.
With even more hacking, I implemented the image overlay thing the Cutline authors did on their blog. This floats another image on top of the randomly changing header.
I also tweaked the vertical spacing in various header elements to make things look right. The only thing that’s really a hack is the Cutline guys’ deal where they hyperlink the floating image by hyperlinking random text associated with a particular region of the floating image, but they hide the actual text by left indenting it by -9999 pixels. Which took a little tinkering to figure out.
But I think I’m happy now with what I’ve got. Everything’s actually working and nothing looks like ass.
So maybe I should go to sleep so I can get up early tomorrow to clean the cat boxes and take out the trash.
I successfully implemented the “Totally Random Header Images for Cutline” feature, with a little hacking. I made my header images largely out of my own photos and completely out of freely available images, and I changed the cycling pool from 5 to 9. Almost everything went swimmingly, except that despite the fact that Cutline’s header images are 896×163 pixels, the sizing in the updated header.php the Cutline folks provided resize the images to 773×140 pixels… for no apparent reason. So I fixed that too.
However, even though I wanted to make a “Post” link that shows only if the user is one with author permissions, I didn’t get that to work at all. But that’s okay. I was just tinkering.