I successfully implemented the “Totally Random Header Images for Cutline” feature, with a little hacking. I made my header images largely out of my own photos and completely out of freely available images, and I changed the cycling pool from 5 to 9. Almost everything went swimmingly, except that despite the fact that Cutline’s header images are 896×163 pixels, the sizing in the updated header.php the Cutline folks provided resize the images to 773×140 pixels… for no apparent reason. So I fixed that too.
However, even though I wanted to make a “Post” link that shows only if the user is one with author permissions, I didn’t get that to work at all. But that’s okay. I was just tinkering.